Welcome to Gadyet Brew


Now brewing the latest gadgets with a teaspoon of insights. Served hot. Great with donuts.

We appreciate your support by visiting the ads that make sense to you. Thanks.

Windows 7: Ok Cya


I spent this weekend installing and optimizing the publicly available Release Candidate of Windows 7. I downloaded and burned the ISO file last April but it was only now I had the time to give it a try. I used the extra 80gig I had from an old PC. I slept late last Friday to give it my first try. The installation did not go very well. There were times the system was hanging and I had to press the reset button on a plenty of occasions. Maybe it was a sign that I had to go to sleep. It was 4AM.

Right after I woke up, I gave it another try and the installation was smoother this time. My only observation was that the system won't shut down and I had to force shut down by pressing the power button. Well, I did checked my system first if it was capable and it was. I had an Atom N270 PC. What I would like to prove is that Windows 7 was as good as the reviews and that it can cater to basic systems. It was Saturday night already.

This Sunday, I deleted and installed a new partition on my hard drive and the re-installed. The experience was much better this time and the shutdown issue seemed no more. However, as I was updating and installing other programs, my system was not shutting down again. I'm not sure really why but I guess I need to dig deeper. Well, it's almost 11PM and I have to work tomorrow so I brought Windows XP back on my PC.
On a lighter side, I tried the Aero and looked around what the new OS had to offer.

Overall, I believe Windows 7 would be another great OS from Microsoft. I have never tried Vista yet on any system I have but, I think, this Vista upgrade (which is Windows 7) has potential to move the attention from Windows XP. I'll definitely watch out for the product release this holiday season.

UPDATE (07/09): WIndows 7 officially releases on October 22, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. bro, i am a friend of your wife and i am also an enthusiast in pcs...actually i am a system builder too and that's my hobby/sideline. if you are having problems with the W7's shut down, then issue is right at the MB of your pc. most mb with atom- supported ones are designed specifically for XP. bios is also a concern. why don't you try to update your bios to support vista, in that case if it can support Vista so does W7. check you mb's manufacturer if there's a bios update for Vista support. i've tried the beta of W7 and no problems at all and now i am using the W7RC...still no problems at all...it is a cool OS. i have a vista ultimate installed on my other pc and that is for my everyday job but it is a dual boot pc. vista and xp....w7 is for my test pc only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the advise. my mb is intel and can support vista. i've been checking out forums on this and found my culprits. it's the applications i installed that makes W7 not shut down. so far i have only installed free AVG and firefox. with the basic OS itself, there's no problems. i still have to check out why because AVG is recommend for W7 and for firefox... maybe microsoft just hates it. hehehe. And yeah, W7 is cool.

    ReplyDelete